In case you’ve simply gotten your iPhone 12 and have seen that 5G isn’t out there after getting it arrange, there are a number of elements to try to troubleshoot what’s occurring. These embrace your wi-fi plan, SIM card, iOS settings, and extra. Let’s dive into what to do in case your iPhone 12’s 5G is not working.
Your entire iPhone 12 lineup options 5G assist (together with mmWave on all US fashions) and 5G is turned on by default so far as iOS 14 settings go along with Good Information mode (may be managed manually too). Nonetheless, if you happen to’ve gotten arrange and activated together with your provider and your iPhone 12’s 5G is not working and also you assume it you have to be, right here’s what to examine subsequent…
iPhone 12 5G not working: troubleshooting
Your provider plan
- Even if you happen to assume you could have an up to date plan that features 5G, it’s good to double-check what you’ve received and make sure it contains 5G service. For instance, Verizon has a tough scenario the place the brand new plans don’t have completely different names or completely different pricing, however some clients want to make a change to get 5G service.
- In the meantime, AT&T is alerting clients that in addition they may have to improve their plans when logging of their accounts:
- In case you bought your iPhone 12 by way of your provider or with Apple together with provider activation you shouldn’t have a difficulty together with your SIM card.
- However notably if you happen to purchased a SIM-free mannequin and are utilizing your outdated SIM, you might want to get a brand new one or name your provider to ask about having your present SIM upgraded to assist 5G.
- Apple notes in a assist doc that if you happen to head to Settings > Mobile > Mobile Information Choices and don’t see a display screen just like the picture beneath, strive turning on Airplane mode then turning it off. In case your iPhone 12’s 5G is not working nonetheless or not displaying up in settings, contact your provider.
iPhone 12 5G not working with Twin SIM mode
- In the identical assist doc talked about above, Apple shares that if you happen to’re utilizing Twin SIM mode with an iPhone 12, each traces will revert to 4G LTE.
- One caveat is, “In China, 5G information is supported whereas utilizing two lively traces in Twin SIM mode on the road that’s utilizing mobile information. In China, whereas utilizing Twin SIM with 5G, 5G Standalone isn’t out there.”
iPhone 12 5G not working with Information Roaming
- 5G isn’t out there but when roaming. Apple says for now, the one choice to get 5G exterior of your provider’s protection is to decide up a neighborhood SIM card when touring.
Carriers world wide are nonetheless working to deploy their 5G roaming assist. In case you activate Information Roaming, you may get mobile information by way of 4G or LTE networks whenever you journey. You can too receive a neighborhood SIM card or eSIM and use it as a single line with 5G the place out there.
5G provider protection
- In case you’ve tried the whole lot above, double-check your provider’s 5G protection map
- Word that the main US carriers’ protection maps embrace each 4G and 5G so that you’ll want to pay shut consideration to the coloured legend and zoom in as shut as potential for essentially the most correct image
For extra particulars on manually managing 5G on iPhone 12, try our walkthrough:
FTC: We use earnings incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. Extra.
Take a look at 9to5Mac on YouTube for extra Apple information: